Sunday 14 March 2010

Ugly Beautiful

For my next project the title i have selected is ‘Ugly Beautiful’. For inspiration I intend to look at the ‘ugly’ architecture (tower blocks, derelict buildings etc) and the run down unpleasant areas of Dundee. I aim to combine this with ‘beautiful’ florals and intricate patterns. This will be largely inspired by the Botanic Gardens in Dundee and Edinburgh. For further inspiration I will look at the work of current designers and artists. I intend to research in to those who primarily work with collage or who are known for their linear drawings or mark making techniques. This is because I would like to gain more experience of working with collage as I have only had the chance to touch on this in recent weeks. I also think collage will be a useful technique for combining a range of ideas and materials within my work.

I will use as much of my own primary source drawn research as possible and I will also incorporate photography, as this is a useful method to record information. I expect to take time concentrating on the composition of my work. I feel it will be necessary to consider the dull tones of the urban environment and also the vibrant colours derived from nature as colour could play a significant part in determining if something is ‘ugly’ or beautiful’. I will also think about the proportion and combinations of colour used within my work.

I plan to produce a series of collages, which combine a range of linear, structured drawings with organic shapes. This will incorporate a wide range of materials I may consider materials such as pen and ink, charcoal, gouache, pastels and chalks. I also intend to experiment with a variety of collage papers (decorative, textured, painted papers, photographs etc). Layering materials that vary in opacity may also be interesting. If time allows I also hope to develop my work in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.

So far I have been out and taken a few photos of some ‘ugly’ architecture and unpleasant areas of the city. I also researched in to artists whose drawing or collage has inspired me. Below are some of the photographs I have taken so far:






0 comments: