Sunday 14 March 2010

Assignment 3: Design Safari (Further Analysis)

As suggested in a recent seminar I have thought again about the recent trip I had to bingo and discussed it with those I went with. This is because I felt we should have gone in to greater depth about the characters we observed, the location in which we observed people and also what they were wearing and why. We should perhaps of considered peoples backgrounds and ‘stories’ in greater detail. After the seminar I realized that I still need to think more, ask myself more questions and consider things in greater depth rather than simply looking at something. By thinking and observing more I think I could of learnt more from the experience. Knowing what questions to ask myself as well as others and how to ask them could be very useful in the future for me as a Textile Designer.

In the second discussion about our trip to bingo we thought about the layout of the building, the people who we observed and their behavior in greater depth. As it was mentioned in a previous blog the bingo hall is split up in to brightly colored zones, perhaps to keep people cheerful or optimistic when they are not so lucky? The zoning perhaps also allows the staff to easily identify the location of customers when the bingo hall is very busy, for example when taking drinks or prize money to customers. The large screens primarily aid the bingo players to keep up with the game as the last number called is displayed, this could also be in place to allow deaf people to participate? The screens also allow people to check the prize money they could receive and which game is being played. This service not only aids the public but also could reduce the number of staff needed, therefore cutting costs. Another point I didn’t previously mention is that the arcade machines were cleverly situated between the desks at the main entrance and the bingo hall, therefore customers pass the arcade machines on their way to and from the bingo hall as well as when they go for a cigarette which for many smokers tended to be in every break.

I also mentioned that most people were dressed in casual clothes, however I never really questioned why. I think people didn’t dress up because they didn’t go to bingo really to meet anyone new so therefore they weren’t trying to impress anyone and weren’t expected to look nice as would be expected if you went out to a restaurant or a club for example. I also doubt many people would be going anywhere after the bingo I think most people will simply go out to the bingo then straight home after as food and drink facilities are available in the bingo hall. I think people also tended to spread out rather than sit closely together in groups, as they appreciated their personal space and were not too concerned about meeting or chatting to people but instead came to play a game, they wanted to concentrate on what they were doing and perhaps also on winning? I sort of got the impression that some people only came to play the game, as if it was sort of a bad habit or addiction. They seemed rather antisocial, and snapped at others. For example I previously blogged that ‘a middle aged lady who puzzled me a bit was someone who was sat close to us with her friend. The lady seemed to get very agitated when she didn’t win and also agitated at her friend who she seemed to be new to the game and so was asking for help. When she did win she simply called out house and received her money, she didn’t seem happy or excited as I would of expected’ I think this is perhaps because really bingo didn’t make her very happy. I think it was simply something she had got in to the habit of playing and had nothing better to do with her time. On the other hand perhaps this was the only time she got out of the house or may be she was just in a bad mood or unhappy about something else on that particular day. Perhaps she preferred to be on her own than with a friend? There are lots of suggestions I could make about my experience at bingo, although I will never really know. From my observations I think It is true to say have numerous unanswered questions and assumptions that may or may not be correct.

0 comments: