Tuesday 26 January 2010

Stripes from the Sea

This semester we have just began a new and exciting main study project entitled ‘Fashion Forecasting’. The idea is to select a current fashion forecast for 2010/11 on which to base our project. After much research and deliberation I discarded ‘Sophisticated rustic’, ‘Rough luk’ and ‘Global Boho’. My source of inspiration will be drawn from ‘Stripes from the Sea’ based on a prediction for summer 2010/11. I began research online and in the library and quickly come across a couple of interesting designers who were influenced by the sea. The work of Junko Shimada is in many instances very unusual and colourful. I find the garments particularly inspirational. The second designer who caught my eye is Lie Sang Bong. Below are some images of their work.

Junko Shimada (http://www.junkoshimada.com/)































The initial task after deciding on a theme for my project was to create a mood board. To do this I decided to take a trip to North Queensferry just outside of Edinburgh for inspiration. I went to Deep Sea World (a large aquarium), had a stroll along the beach and also took time to explore the quaint town. Throughout the day i took a lot of photographs, roughly 200 at the aquarium, however less than a quarter of those were of any use! I found photographing the fish very challenging, they move very quickly, the tanks are often poorly lit in a fairly dark room and using a flash reflects off the tank. Below are some of my more successful photographs.



































0 comments: