Saturday 7 November 2009

Textiles in Practice - Mixed Media and Weave

Every week at university is different for me at the moment as we are doing textiles in practice. This means I am spending each week doing a different workshop. The idea is to translate images in our sketchbooks in to fabric samples. So far I have done mixed media and weave. I still have print and knit to come. I really enjoyed mixed media and felt like the week flew past. Below are some images of the samples I created and what inspired them.













Whilst creating these mixed media samples I was inspired by the work of Alison Willoughby, Claire Coles and Shizuko Kimura who I have also blogged about.

Weave I found slightly less enjoyable than mixed media, I feel my work progressed quite slowly and I think that what I have produced is less successful than the samples I created using mixed media. Despite this it was a good chance to experiment and practice. Below are some photographs of my weeks work, I produced one sample based on the fruit and vegetable section of my research and the other black and white sample is based on the surface of the moon. Whilst creating my first sample I concentrated a lot on the colour palette and the amount of each yarn I used, to create the second sample I used only black, white and grey yarns and aimed to produce a much more textured piece.


0 comments: