Sunday 27 September 2009

Week 1 18/09/2009

Today I found Design Studies a lot more interesting than I expected to. What particularly surprised me and made me think is that we were told the series of lectures would not actually be based on art. We won’t be advised to read design magazines or books and won’t be discussing designers or art history within the lectures. Instead we are to look at aspects within science, technology, maths, politics and current affairs for example.

At first this struck me as totally pointless and of no benefit to my studies at all. I thought surely we should be learning about and researching what is relevant to our studies and this is not? Although I have since began to realise that it is necessary to know about ‘everything else’ in order to design affectively. Designers need to be up to date and aware of other issues and problems if they are going to use their creative abilities to design solutions and so aid the current and/or future population. For this reason I do agree that designers are wasted if all they do is design all the time, they need to be far more, than just a designer.

I am beginning to think that these lectures are going to be very useful to my studies this semester, as this lecture has given me a lot to think about and research and to some extent it has opened my eyes to all the other aspects of design I never thought of. For example previous to this lecture I never considered the potential of sources such as The NewScientist or BBC radio 4. But even after only beginning to read The NewScientist magazine this afternoon I have not only learnt a lot but it has provoked lots of new ideas for my culture project and suggested new pathways that I intend to research.

0 comments: